samedi 19 juillet 2014

Eat: Wild Plum and lemon thyme clafoutis.

Following yesterday's foraging of wild plums and lemon thyme, I have decided to make a typical summer french recipe: a Clafoutis!


 Clafoutis  is a dessert originated from Limousin, in France, and was created in the 19th century.
It is initially made with black cherries, and you cook it with the pits, as they will give a nice almond flavor. I'm used to make it without the pits, as it drives my father crazy. If people eating with you are more patient, keep the pits, it will make a big difference!

The base of a clafoutis is a kind of flan, I think there is nothing more simple, and as enjoyable.

My grandad used to make it with cherries from the garden, and sprinkled it with that chouquette sugat (grain sugar). It's the kind of cake, where I cannot control my appetite, it's so moorish and comforting. I loved sitting in the veranda with my family, after a day playing in the garden, and eat grandad's clafoutis. Of course my grandad always kept the pits, to my dad's despair hehe...

125 g flour
300 g pitted wild red plums
75g melted butter
50 g sugar
250 ml of double cream ( if you are lactose intolerant, replace by soycream, it will still be gorgeous)
3 eggs
6 g baking powder (or half a sachet baking powder)
1 Pinch of salt
4 flower heads of Lemon Thyme (yes, it is a variety of thyme, with a powerful lemon flavor)
Grain sugar, as much as you wish! (I never succeed to find some sadly, but that's what grandad uses for his clafoutis!) . If you don't find it, replace by sugar.


Preheat the oven at 150 degree celsius

Dispose some flour in a mixing bowl.
Make a volcano.
Add the cream, the sugar and the salt.
Mix well.
Add the melted butter, the thyme and the yeast.
Wisk.
Butter a 20 cm round cake tin. Sprinkle with flour.
Pour the batter into the cake tin.
Dispose carefully your fruits. I like to have the red top of the plums appear, it looks like gems!
Sprinkle with grain sugar.

Bake until a blade comes out clean!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire